The Government of the Northwest Territories has defined the following priority research areas in Health and Wellness:
- Improving the Health Status of the Population Through Prevention and Education
- Access to Primary Care and Public Health Services
- Mental Health and Addictions
- Child and Family Services
- Disparities in Aboriginal health
- Implementation, Knowledge Translation and Capacity Building
These priorities can be found in the Government of the Northwest Territories Department of Health and Social Services Research Agenda.
In 2017, Hotıì ts’eeda gathered stakeholders to discuss northern health research and the role of our Unit. Several priorities for health research emerged from these discussions. These priorities reflect discussions with our community and may change over time.
Priorities that were identified by our stakeholders not included in the GNWT’s priorities:
- Housing and Homelessness
- Indigenous Knowledge and Healing
- Cultural Safety and Competency
- Health Promotion