Food security is a serious and growing challenge in Canada’s northern and remote Indigenous communities. Evidence from a variety of sources concludes that food insecurity among Northern Indigenous Peoples is a problem that requires urgent attention to address and mitigate the serious impacts it has on health and well-being. Evidence indicates that people who are food insecure are more susceptible to malnutrition and infection, as well as chronic health problems such as obesity, anemia, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, stress, and child developmental issues. Mental health effects of food insecurity include reduced ability to learn, depression, and social exclusion.
The overall goal of the Food Security and Climate Change in the Canadian North Initiative is to support research that will provide a deeper understanding of food security and climate change in the Canadian North, with particular focus on Indigenous (i.e., First Nations, Inuit and Métis) populations, and to support the development of effective approaches, programs and policy to address this issue.
This funding opportunity will support projects relevant to food security and climate change in the Canadian North. Research Teams may address the research gaps identified by the Expert Panel on the State of Knowledge of Food Security in the North, such as but not limited to:
- research and monitoring methodologies related to climate change and food security in the North;
- health, wellness, and nutritional status related to climate change and food security in the North;
- climate change, the environment, and traditional/country food systems in the North;
- food sovereignty and governance related to Indigenous People and climate change and food security;
- effective approaches, programs and policies to address food insecurity in the North through implementation science.
- Application Deadline (Letter of intent): October 25, 2018
- Anticipated Notice of Decision (Letter of Intent): February 19, 2019
- Funding Start Date: (Letter of Intent): February 1, 2019
- Full Application Deadline: April 03, 2019
- Anticipated Notice of Decision: July 17, 2019
- Funding Start Date: July 01, 2019
For more information, visit the full funding opportunity.